Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 18:39:52 EST

Linda writes:

It could be  a great opportunity to suggest they speak to the formula reps
about the new  guidelines on mixing powdered formula, and the new guidelines to
use ready to  feed formula if the baby is under 2 months of age, but not to
use the canned  ready to feed, as the lining contains too  much
BpA.............

~~
The booklet by WHO, I think does give guidelines for boiling water and
cooling, etc. I don't know one parent who got these guidelines, or any, from  their
pediatrician or hospital. Pediatricians seem to be telling parents it is
fine not to sterilize or boil water, etc. and fine to use canned powdered
formula, in the US where I live anyway. Still, I give them the best info I  have. Is
there a pamphlet guideline that outlines not using powdered formula in
infants under 2 months of age, and not using the canned stuff, in one place?
Parents seem to get bits of information here and there, some of it wrong, some
stuff they just never get informed about. It would be great to have a handout
from the AAP or something with everything all in one place. Any chance the AAP
has anything like this or could prepare it? Parents sure need it and they
sadly  don't take it seriously if as their breastfeeding support person I am the
only  one telling them. I hear parents chalking it up to "breastfeeding people
want to  make it harder for moms who don't breastfeed", while the local peds
seem fine  making it easier, and see no risks at all.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA