From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:12:49 +0200
Well, I took the quiz three times.  Got three wrong answers the first time,
and when I re-read the questions more carefully I understood why I had
responded incorrectly.  I read them hastily and carelessly and got caught up
in fine points, and I agreed with them about what I'd done wrong.  Two days
later I took it again and read each question and all the alternatives
carefully and I had no trouble agreeing with the answers designated by the
author as correct, so I got a perfect score.
The first time, I was told that I should go read up on things so I could be
sure of how to tell whether my newborn was feeding effectively.  Go figure -
I spend most of my work week dealing with newborns and I thought I was
pretty good at telling whether they were feeding effectively.  Probably I
only gave those questions the most cursory glance, with a result to match,
because I know this stuff in my sleep.
Just now, I took the quiz again, answering each question incorrectly on
purpose.  Apart from the slightly obnoxious red lettering 'WRONG' and the
incongruously cheery 'Your answer is WRONG!' as a lead-in to the explanation
of what the right answer is, I was impressed that the correct answers were
presented with pretty OK explanations in every case.  'Crying is actually a
very late sign of hunger', for example, or 'thrush is a mild infection that
does not warrant weaning your baby'.

The same rules apply whenever you take a multiple choice test.  Read the
question carefully, think of what the correct answer is, and try to find it
among the alternatives.  There may be more than one that looks right, but
generally only one of them is.  I didn't see any questions for which I felt
the best answer was missing.  Maybe it says more about me than about the
rightness of the quiz, but I wasn't up in arms about it.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand