From:
DBernhar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 10:16:11 EST
     Re: Pump info at bf classes

     Jan writes:

     > Why on earth are we spending time at prenatal breastfeeding classes
     teaching
     > about pumping? ?  This is not to bash pump rental stations, but
     IM(not so > humble)O, prenatal breastfeeding classes are to teach moms
     about
     > breastfeeding, and how to survive the first few days after birth.

     Jan,

     In our breastfeeding classes, we do spend 90% of the time teaching
     moms about breastfeeding, because after all, if they don't get the
     hang of breastfeeding, what to do with a pump won't matter.  However,
     at my first ever breastfeeding class, the first question I asked was,
     "What do I do when I return to work?".  The instructor said. "When
     you're ready to return to work, call me.".  Okay, realistically, how
     many women are going to call back?  In fact, I did call her and she
     was largely unavailable.  Very discouraging, to say the least.

     We don't talk a whole lot about pumps in the class, except to say that
     the drug store variety won't maintain a milk supply for long.  I think
     this is an important thing to convey in a breastfeeding class.  Most
     women who come to our classes think if they are breastfeeding, they
     automatically need a pump.  We try to steer them in the right
     direction for the pump that will do them the best good, whether that
     is no pump at all, or a hospital-grade pump for moms returning to
     work.  We also teach hand expression, and emphasize that their hand is
     the best pump.

     Finally, we try to convey a few important points so that women can
     plan ahead for their maternity leave.  We emphasize things like
     returning to work on a Thursday instead of a Monday, simple ways to
     obtain and store milk prior to a return to work (hand expression on
     one breast while nursing baby on the other, for instance), how long to
     pump for, where to (and not to!) pump, and how sleeping with their
     baby (safely, of course) will minimize the sleep deprivation in the
     early days of returning to work and give their baby extra feedings
     during the night.

     We have offered a separate "Working and Breastfeeding" class, but no
     one has signed up for it for months.

     Dena Bernhard
     Member, Space Coast Breastfeeding Coalition