From:
Joy Motsiff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 15:45:52 -0500
Thought I would share the results of the MOM  with 5 month old infant
nursing in pain for 3 months due to vasospasm of nipples.   I saw her and
while she was nursing in front of me her nipple on opposite breast blanched
white, no other colors.  This confirmed my probable diagnosis from the
history.  I prescribed procardia LA as Dr
Jack had suggested.  At the end of 2 weeks she was just about painfree.
She was going to do a 2nd round as was suggested.  Her comment to me was It
is wonderful to nurse Asia ( baby)   without crying and gritting her teeth.
 I cant imagine breastfeeding
with that much pain.    In addition,  I sent a letter to both the babies MD
and MOMs
with  the references and information  on vasospasm along with my asessment
and plan.
 Many Thanks for your help.
Joy Motsiff  PNP IBCLC   Cambridge, NY