From:
Annie Versteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 23:04:27 EST
Hello Wise ones,

I have a client (with permission to post) who has a 4 week old full term,
vacuum extracted, sat at +1 to +2 for 5 hours (hello, anybody think to turn
off the epidural?? She went from 4 - 10 cms in 3 hours)  she is a very happy
and committed prim-ip.  Dad is on board too.  The baby still is not back to
birth weight!! She was 7/13 at birth, dropped to 6/10 and since then has only
gained 6 ounces.  The baby has a good suck at times, she is very contented,
sleeps well, wakes to feed has lots of wet and some poopy diapers (does not
poop every day).  The mom is doing her darndest to feed this baby.  She
compresses when baby is at breast, feeds her on demand and is doing insurance
pumping after each feed which she then supplements with at the breast the
next feed, usually 1/2 - 1 oz.  Last weight check she had only gained 2
ounces in 7 days now at 7 lbs..  The RN said to supplement with 2 ozs of
LIPIL after the EBM supplement, at each feed.  Needless to say, the baby
threw up every drop of breastmilk, ebm and LIPIL within 10 minutes of the
feed  Yes, the mom cried, she is working SOOOO hard.  My suggestion was to
only supplement with abm during the night feeds (3) and start with an ounce.
I suggested this because the mom is not pumping at night, only breastfeeding
and maybe we could experiment with what it takes to get this sweet baby to
gain.  There is so much about this baby that is right.  She is alert, all
jaundice has resolved, she rarely cries, she pees, she poops and she looks
good, she does not look *old* and wrinkly.  She does suck more vigorously at
the breast when she is supplemented.  She has been using the Mother Love
tincture, and fenugreek.  She had incredible edema in her feet, hands and
breasts on day 2 PP.  She pumped for 2 hours (unbeknownst to me) thinking
that would help the soreness, thinking it was milk, not water.   She just
called to say she supplemented with 1+3/4oz of EBM at the breast.  She said
the baby is sucking better...
Please wise ones, what do you think???
May e-mail me privately or post to Lacnet
TIA,
Annie VerSteeg  IBCLC
Mom to Willie; 12 and Kayli; 10
Beach Area Breastfeeding