From:
CKoehler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:07:14 -0500
Hello:
I know there are probably dozens of references in the archives for this type
of situation, but I truly think *I'm* the one who needs support here, so
please bear with me.
I worked with a mom for at least 3 hours total tonight (thank god for
orientation! What a fantasy in a hospital setting!) who has had problems
with moderately flat nipples and poor latch on since birth. Our facility's
remedy for this is the pump and supplement (glucose water) with a NUK
nipple, and subsequently, baby has had continued difficulty with latch on--
screams when attempts are made, refuses to open mouth wide, and quiets when
placed on moms shoulder. I feel that the baby is experiencing nipple
confusion, and suggested that she try cup feeding (vs the NUK), which she
was very relieved to try. Other staff is upset, says we can't cup feed d/t
"risks of aspiration"; general consensus is that "nipple confusion is a
fallacy-- and mom should give up". These are the attitudes that mom is going
to face today, day staff will probably tell her I'm wrong, and very likely
work hard to undo all the teaching I struggled so long and hard to get
across. As a last resort, I suggested nipple shields until baby is nursing
well-- certainly doesn't help with the confusion, but may boost mom's morale
and keep the glucose water (I'm sure formulas not far behind) at bay until
BF is better established. Other staff is against nipple shields for unclear
reasons, and I'm at a complete loss. I know I shouldn't get emotionally
attached, but I feel very lost in this situation-- mom is so very dedicated,
and everything I've learned about lactation thus far has been rejected and
scoffed at, completely unsupported. I doubt this will change.
I know this is a list for professional queries, but this "professional" is
really in need of some good, solid advice-- and some emotional support.

Cyndi Koehler, RN in Racine WI