Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:37:49 +0800
>Local LLLL called re: mom with 4 mo old with eosinophilic esophagitis who
>has been told it is casein in breastmilk that causes problem.  On soy,
>Comments??? Pat in SNJ

With EE it can be any or all foods that cause the reaction.

I have heard of
* one mum who successfully found the offending foods while breastfeeding and
continued to breastfeed (from memory it was someone on Lactnet who knew the
lady.  There was a minimal number of offending foods (around 4-5 from memory)

* at least one (but possibly two or three - too long ago now) mum/s who the
only way for their baby to thrive was for mum/s to drink elemental formula
(and eat nothing else) and then exclusively breastfeed.

* most babies being removed from the breast and fed elemental formula.

EE can continue and leave kids elemental formula fed for years, usually through a
g-tube, while trialing individual foods to test for reaction.  Some children
are checked by an upper GI endoscopy after each food trial, some after a few
foods.

Trivia: there is some discussion that patients who have both EE and
mitochondrial disease that the EE is more likely to be a non-allergic.

I hope that helps, feel free to email me if there's more questions.  I am a
couple of years out of date with this, so I'm not altogether sure what's
going thing currently.
Cheers
Suzie
Australia