From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:00:59 -0500
<<If she begins a regime of milk expression
combined with nursing, bearing in mind her pregnancy, is this alone
likely
to help her supply increase? What else could she safely do to increase
her
milk?>>

Probably nothing.  From my involvement in LLL and in large internet ap
communities I've come to believe that it's more a function of biological
and genetic influences.

<< She is aware that the hormones of pregnancy can cause a reduction in
supply, but was thinking that she was still too early in her pregnancy
for
that to have started happening.>>

It's definitely not to early to have started happening.   I've witnessed
nursing through pregnancy countless times.  There are some people who
seem to have milk (or at least their verbal kids tell them so) up to 37
weeks or so.  But most seem to have noticeable supply differences *by*
12 weeks and no milk by 20 weeks - regardless of what they do, more
frequent nursing, pumping, oatmeal, MMT tincture ((raspberry leaf,
nettles, alfalfa from www.motherlove.com ), homeopathy and any and all
other nutritional and natural therapies.

Seems that it would be very difficult to avoid the use of supplements
with a very young baby.  If mom wants to continue nursing to end up
tandeming, then perhaps an SNS......but wow, having nursed through a
pregnancy and continuing to nurse two, I have a hard time recommending
it to anyone.  On every level, it's been an unbelievably difficult
experience.

I take tons of nettle, alfalfa and RRL during pregnancy anyway.  data
point: It had zero effect on my milk supply (which when non pregnant
falls in the oversupply category).

I wish this mom the best of luck.  It's tough to be pregnant and very
tough to be pregnant and the mother of a young nursling - esp a v. v.
young nursling who is counting heavily on her milk.

katherine in atl