From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 12:20:03 -0400
I remember, when my first baby was born 22 years ago, the pediatrician and
hospital nurses all warning me most severely against "letting him use you as
a pacifier". At the time, not knowing any better, I denied ALL of my
instincts in order to follow their stupid advice - with the result that I
had a very difficult time nsg him (even though he started out great!), a
baby that was quite unhappy for his 1st 4 months of life, and I spent a lot
of hours crying, wishing I "could" just pacify him at breast.

By the time my twins came along 4 yrs later, I knew a lot better. I ignored
that ignorant old piece of misinformation and thanked the gods that I could
*always* pacify them at the breast, whenever they made so much as a peep. I
had abundant milk, happy babies, and serenity and confidence in my soul -
after all, it's pretty heady stuff to be able to make people happy just by
popping them on a breast! (I have to say that I now follow the same policy
in regard to my husband's ever-alert interest in sex - what could be bad?!)
Give 'em what they want, everyone's happy!

Re: the baby Pat was describing who couldn't summon the energy to suck but
had been given a pacifier so he'd be quiet for his hearing test - doesn't
sound like he would have been making a whole lot of noise!

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY