From:
Brooke Hall Rn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:43:30 EST
Hi,
I am mostly a lurker, but I would like to respond to the RN vs. IBCLC
discussion  since I happen to be both. I am a recently certified IBCLC, but I
have assisted breastfeeding moms and promoted breastfeeding for 6+ years since
I began working in a NICU. First, know that there are different levels of
common sense and knowledge in every profession. What I mean by this is, there
are excellent health care professionals and then there are not. Having the
Title does not indicate that you can do the job. ( Although, I did'nt feel it
was fair to call myself a Lactation Consultant until I passed the exam)
Second, as a nurse to be truly supportive of breastfeeding I had to do a lot
of self educating. This is because when you get in to the maternal/child area,
there is generally a low turn over of staff. My mentors, although very
experienced in newborn assessment were stuck in the "old" way (baby
unfriendly) because that is what they were comfortable with. I am thankful for
the RN/IBCLC on our unit who inspired me to do more. In the begginning,
because I was a nurse, I approached breastfeeding with a clinician's point of
view. This meant the use of the pump, shells, and make-shift nursing
supplementers etc. Many pro-breastfeeding RN's use these in an effort to get
the baby onto breast because of time restraints. Now, because I am more
knowledgeable and am comfortable with my experience, I use a more natural
approach and find it more effective. I feel a non-RN  LC brings these kinds of
skills to the table and therefore would be valuble to any hospital.The nurses
would learn much from them. I also think that every nurse manager should  at
least be required to take a breastfeeding educator course.(Our unit is lucky.)
The more education you have the better and is especially respected in the
health care field. I myself am considering finishing my degree for this
reason. I have also read many posts about mothers recieving incorrect
breastfeeding info from nusery staff. I have had a particularly bad week
myself but let's all try to remember to count to ten, stop banging our heads
against the wall  and look for for a solution. I have found that even RN's who
I would'nt consider pro-breastfeeding have approached me with questions since
passing the exam. I take full advantage of these oppurtunities. Some joke to
me that I am a Lact-nut and then there are those Other comments . I let it
roll off my back. Be approachable. If they acted inappropriately in a
breastfeeding situation by all means correct it, but in a professional way.
Talk to them privately if necessary. Don't assume a nurse gave the incorrect
info. On our unit we all wear the same color scrubs; nurses, doctors, unit
secretarys, cleaning ladies etc. The patients cannot tell the difference.
Lastly, educate, educate, educate! Get moms prenatally, leave articles lying
around, write breastfeeding instructions for moms at discharge , and give
inservices to all staff.
If we're going to get the message across we have to work together. This is why
I love Lact-net.
P.S. I hope I did not offend anyone, I only wanted to give my opinion . If I
did, I apologize. Thanks Brooke