From:
"Helen M. Woodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 17:30:26 EST
Dear lactpals,

You know by now how finicky/picky I am with words that we use in front of
breastfeeding women and when talking about breastfeeding to others - so here
goes - again /:D

Why, oh why, do we continue to use the word *Test* in front of
Weigh?  Why not just good ole Weigh on its own?

What we are doing is weighing the baby, there is no difference in how the
action is carried out or by the timing of it. You put the baby on the scales,
take the reading and then you lift the baby off the scales.  I know that the
word 'test' is a threatening and undermining word for many breastfeeding
women.  We really do, imho, need to re-evaluate this phrase - or am I *weigh-
off beam*  - just could not resist this pun.

kindest regards
Helen Woodman, NCT Breastfeeding Counsellor, Storrington, West Sussex, UK

Magda's recent posting on problems we had here in UK and, no doubt, still have
in some places, rang horribly loud bells of recognition for me.