From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:38:33 -0600
Nikki asks the right question:

>The Soothie needs to be in contact with skin to provide relief, no? And if
>said skin is under a shield of lanolin, how can that happen? Or do I have it
>wrong?

I am an employee of a company that makes a competing brand of hydrogel
pad and my understanding is that there is no benefit whatsoever to using
these two products together.  They are both designed to do the same
thing: provide a moist wound healing environment to prevent a wound from
drying and scabbing, which speeds healing.  Using these products
together serves no useful purpose.

Someone asked previously why these two products are not recommended to
be used together.  That is the recommendeation for my company's brand of
hydrogel, Ameda ComfortGels.  The reason behind this recommendation is
that using lanolin with the hydrogel pad "compromises the integrity of
the pad," which means the pads won't last as long.  Under normal
circumstances, each Ameda pad lasts up to 6 days. So if a mother uses
lanolin with them, not only will it do her no good, the pads will last
for a shorter time--a lose/lose all the way around

I hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA, LLLL
Lactation Consultant, Ameda Breastfeeding Products
Chicago suburbs