From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:02:21 -0600
Meredith Small's article in New Scientist, like her article in the recent
Natural History are "teasers" for her new book, to be published next year
(early spring) titled "Our Babies, Ourselves."  Meredith Small is a
biocultural anthropologist, a friend, and even a distant relative (my maiden
name was Small and we both have ancestors way-back-when named Small who came
to the US from Dundee, Scotland).  She is also a SUPER person, and I would
say that even if she weren't a biocultural anthropologist and even if she
weren't distantly related to me!!

KD

P.S.  I am reading "The Vital Touch", a new book on the importance of touch
to babies, and find it to be pretty good -- a few inaccuracies here and
there, but at least good discussions of James McKenna and Gene Anderson's
work on why babies should be slept with and held a lot so they don't cry.