From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 06:22:55 +1000
This is in response to a posting from Barbara W-C regarding our knowledge
of the causes of engorgement (or rather lack of knowledge...). I have
discarded the original posting so please correct me Barbara if I am
misunderstanding you.

I had previously mentioned that we 'know' that good, regular removal of
milk from the breasts in the first 48 hours or so will reduce the chances
of developing engorgement when lactogenesis II occurs.  Barbara refuted this.
Am I to understand you are saying that there is nothing we can do in our
breastfeeding management that will have any impact on the 'severity' of
engorgement?
I don't have any research on me at the moment (I'll definitely be looking
as soon as I can) but my experience leads me to disagree.  The women whose
babies are sleepy and breastfeed 4 to 5 hourly in those first few days do
experience significantly more engorgement than the ones whose babies are on
and off the breast all day and all night.

I know there are exceptions to every rule - and yes I agree that some women
(but a minority) will get engorged, and possibly quite severly so, despite
the very best of management.  But I do suggest that these women are
exceptions.

What has others experiences been?
Denise