Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 06:55:32 -0700
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Susan Bacon wrote:

> Maybe the kids are the ones that we should be exposing to the benefits
> and natural design of breastfeeding.  Their minds are open, ready to
> absorb information and free of most of the biases of society.  Our
> children are obviously able to accept the information and assimilate,
> organize and discuss it in a very open and intelligent way.

I agree, Susan, and information about breastfeeding might help counteract
some of the overt sexualization of the female breast that those kids are
being exposed to already.

My children are 14 years apart in age, and I very consciously (and not
SELF-consciously ;)) breastfed my youngest in front of his sister's
teenage friends.  If questions came up about breastfeeding, I answered
openly and honestly.  I am happy to report, now that my oldest is 26, that
her three closest high school friends have had babies and breastfed them
for a minimum of two years.  One of them nursed her baby until she was 4
years old, and another continued nursing her son until he was 2 years old
even thought she returned to full-time work when he was 6 weeks old.  I'm
thrilled and proud... and glad they could come to me with their questions
about breastfeeding when they had those babies.  None of these three girls
comes from a family where breastfeeding was the norm... but they helped
educate their own mothers, too!

My daughter nursed her first baby until he lost interest when her milk
supply dwindled during her pregnancy with baby #2... who is a fat little
breastfed girl of 4 months and 19 pounds!  ;)

Cee

                             .
                        .    |    .
                         \   |   /