Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:04:53 -0400
 Well, I am assuming the
person you have clip is a ped. I guess they could always get another
opinion from an expert ped, as opposed to the NON-experts. That is one
of the things I always remind them--the person I am sending you to is a
ped as well--just a better trained one (re:TT). I also, when really
desperate, I have the parents talk to Betty. She is quite
convincing--and a ped of course. Did you send them her article?
Finally, I have the parents talk to other parents who have encountered
and survived the same ignorant crap.

But sometimes you lose. I had a family two weeks ago who had asked the
ped/LC if their baby was TT'd b/c the dad was and was unable to bf b/c
of it. Baby was NOT latching. Ped said, yes, but moderate, so just
watch it. I kid you not. Remember, baby could not latch. Parents saw
me--I set up an appt with our ped who clips for two days away (I had 4
other moms waiting 2 weeks--he put them all in one afternoon--a stroke
of luck for that family). Well, when they called the ped for a
referral--the ped wanted them back in again just to look at the baby.
So they canceled the clipping appt and I have not heard from them
since.

Did I mention the ped is an LC?? Yep, sometimes they break your heart.
But, this family had everything right in front of them and chose to
trust the ped they'd known for all of two weeks. Such is the power of
the doctor in the medical model of disease-care. But, we all have the
ability to exercise good or poor judgement. That same day another family
came and paid out of pocket b/c they knew the ped would not support
them and they wanted their baby clipped.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC