From:
"Johnson, Martha (Lactation-SHMC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:29:55 -0800
Hi Barbara and Lactnetters,
thanks so much for weighing in on this case.  You were right on, see Lactnet
for an update.  I would love to hear more about the use of nifedipine in
cases like this.

I think the bruising was probably unresolved mastitis (secondary to breast
inflammation and trauma from chomping/uncoordinated suck), mastitis came
back on like a ton of bricks last weekend.  She has been seen once for CST,
no noticeable difference yet, but I have seen it take 3-4 treatments before
really dysfunctional sucks were corrected.  WE were able to get a more
comfortable feeding during today's visit by changing position to football,
and going for a really deep, asymmetrical latch.  I asked her to do TMJ
massage on baby, breast compression during feeds to increase milk transfer
and improve feeding efficiency, go for at least one more CST treatment.

I have had some parents be really reluctant about CST, at a time when my
only resource was a chiropractor.  Then I went to Upledger's webpage, and
looked for people in my area who had had more than 5 courses (they have to
take at least 5 trainings before Upledger wants them to begin treating
babies).  then I made a referral page based on this.  I now have a range of
local practitioners to refer to, including  chiropractors, LMTs, PTs, and an
RN.  This helps parents --and peds-- feel more comfortable with CST. I also
have a brochure from Upledger which describes the treatment of babies.
Warmly--
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene OR