From:
Susan Rook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:51:44 -0500
Hello all,

Jeanne writes<snip>Our manager did a literature search and
discovered that when an infant's head is covered for privacy, narcosis can
happen within minutes. <snip>

When my son was tiny, and I do mean tiny as he was a 32 week preemie, a
friend of mine showed me a trick she learned through her LLL. I'll do my
best to describe how to do it for yourself.

1. Fold a lightweight receiving blanket in half corner to corner to make a
triangle.

2. Secure the points along the folded edge with a diaper pin or safety pin.
( I never did, but you could probably sew or velcro the points together.

3. Mom puts her head through the loop made by the pinned edge making sure
that the blanket drapes down in front wearing the blanket like a loose
scarf.

4. Mom can latch baby "under blanket" while keeping baby in view and
allowing plenty of air flow since the cover-up is open around her neck. The
only spectator who can see the baby at the breast with this arrangement is
one who stands behind or very close beside mom.

I'm not sure if my description is adequate, but if you need more detail,
e-mail privately and I'll see if I can get a photo. I liked this cover-up
best of any I tried and most every mom has several blankets that will work
for this without buying another "special baby thing."

Susan