Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:46:34 EDT
Dear Veronica,
      It was so heartening to read your post reminding us all to consider the
whole mother and the whole situation.  Yes, our 1st choice is breastmilk
received directly from the source.  When mother indicates she is ready to
quit (meaning baby will receive no breastmilk) or we can see the situation
disintegrating  2nd choice (pumping and bottlefeeding) seems preferable.  I
have assisted many babies who would have received far less breastmilk than
they did if it was not for this option.  It has been difficult to revise my
thinking and standards over the last 12 years to include this option.  I am
happy now that I have matured away from judgement and inflexibility and do my
best to truly help the mothers where they are.  So much of this work is on a
case by case basis with so many variables (physical and psychological).  That
makes this  work challenging and fascinating.  The lasting impression we
leave is so important.  Let's also remember to remain nonjudgemental to each
other.  So many times the "next" IBCLC does not receive the whole story.
Inflexibility and judgement do not promote growth.