From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:13:43 -0500
I think how we view a scale may vary a lot with culture, and that may influence whether we should even be using it.  Where I live, it doesn't seem to intimidate or rule.  It's more an interesting way to corroborate what the mother and I think we're seeing.  I usually first have her assess for herself whether this seemed like a typical feeding, or a snack, or Thanksgiving dinner.  And we may use it several times, looking at each breast or at first-round and second-round intake.  I must confess I like it in part because it's such a good conversationalist.  Mostly our conversations are pretty ordinary; the scale simply adds another piece to an already pretty clear picture.  But sometimes it has surprising things to say.

Father: I know my daughter takes 3 1/2 oz from a bottle, and there's just no way she can get that from a breast.  I want my wife to keep doing some pumping.
Scale: 3 1/2 oz.
Father: By golly!  I would never have guessed!

Baby, weighed for no particular reason (thriving child, curious mom): *vomits* down her back as soon as he's removed from scale, with none of it getting on him.
Me: Ooh, now's our chance to weigh spit up!  Put him back on the scale!
Scale: no measurable weight change.

Mother: The doctor says she's just slim.
Scale: .6 oz
Mother: Ah, that explains it.  I did wonder if maybe she wasn't getting as much as she needed.

Aunt: There's no reason that my sister should have to nurse him all the time.  He looks fine.
Scale, after maybe 40 minutes: 1.8 oz
Aunt: Now I get it.  She's had to nurse him all the time *in order* for him to gain okay.  What's the next step?

Mother: They say he's breastfeeding fine, but I just don't think so.
Scale: 1 oz
Mother: I *knew* it!

Mother: I know he still can't get all the way past my large nipples, but is he doing any better?
Scale: 2 oz
Mother: Wow!  A whole half ounce more than last week!  I love how it keeps going up.  We're almost there!  May we come next week just for fun?

Me, to myself, called in to consult with a puzzled colleague: This scrawny little premie is just piddling around there.  Poor mom.  I'm barely hearing any swallows at all.
Scale: 3 oz
Me: YIKES!  No wonder the picture has been so confusing!

The stories are true.  The names have been omitted to protect the innocent.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com