Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:13:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
I think how we view a scale may vary a lot with culture, and that may influence whether we should even be using it.  Where I live, it doesn't seem to intimidate or rule.  It's more an interesting way to corroborate what the mother and I think we're seeing.  I usually first have her assess for herself whether this seemed like a typical feeding, or a snack, or Thanksgiving dinner.  And we may use it several times, looking at each breast or at first-round and second-round intake.  I must confess I like it in part because it's such a good conversationalist.  Mostly our conversations are pretty ordinary; the scale simply adds another piece to an already pretty clear picture.  But sometimes it has surprising things to say.  

Father: I know my daughter takes 3 1/2 oz from a bottle, and there's just no way she can get that from a breast.  I want my wife to keep doing some pumping.  
Scale: 3 1/2 oz.
Father: By golly!  I would never have guessed!

Baby, weighed for no particular reason (thriving child, curious mom): *vomits* down her back as soon as he's removed from scale, with none of it getting on him.  
Me: Ooh, now's our chance to weigh spit up!  Put him back on the scale!
Scale: no measurable weight change.

Mother: The doctor says she's just slim.
Scale: .6 oz
Mother: Ah, that explains it.  I did wonder if maybe she wasn't getting as much as she needed.

Aunt: There's no reason that my sister should have to nurse him all the time.  He looks fine.
Scale, after maybe 40 minutes: 1.8 oz
Aunt: Now I get it.  She's had to nurse him all the time *in order* for him to gain okay.  What's the next step?

Mother: They say he's breastfeeding fine, but I just don't think so.
Scale: 1 oz
Mother: I *knew* it!

Mother: I know he still can't get all the way past my large nipples, but is he doing any better?
Scale: 2 oz
Mother: Wow!  A whole half ounce more than last week!  I love how it keeps going up.  We're almost there!  May we come next week just for fun?

Me, to myself, called in to consult with a puzzled colleague: This scrawny little premie is just piddling around there.  Poor mom.  I'm barely hearing any swallows at all.
Scale: 3 oz
Me: YIKES!  No wonder the picture has been so confusing!

The stories are true.  The names have been omitted to protect the innocent.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2