From:
Robert Cordes DO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 17:45:52 -0400
Pam,
you said "OB has said that if she was
not breastfeeding she could take an oral medication, but as she
is
breastfeeding she should continue with the injectable for the
next six
weeks.  I can't find anything on this drug during breastfeeding,
but perhaps
it is similar to Heparin?  Can anyone (Dr Tom?) enlighten me? "

Not to begin to rant but I ticks me off when a non
pediatric specailist tells a mom what is and isnt OK in a baby's
GI tract. Especailly if theyre WRONG.
Warfarin is OK during breastfeeding, taken
orally.
Two days ago one of our OB docs approached me because a
3 week post partum breastfeeding mom was being admitted
for blood clotts. Mom's general doc called him about safety
of heparin and warfarin with breastfeeding. His reply was "thats
a pediatric question". I assured him it was OK and also
mom called me upset thinking she would have to d/c breastfeeding. I told her
it was OK. Then she asked about
X-ray contrast she had earlier that day, as the radiologist
said "You might not want to breastfeed for a day or two" per
mom. I told her in polite terms it was BS. If I know the agent used
I can tell her 'yes or no or not for this long'. Not "might not want to"
Fortunatley Opiray contrast is OK per Tom's book.
Looking it up I thought "Well Jack would say keep breastfeeding"
-Rob