From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:02:25 EST
someone wrote;
>>I also think we must continue to =
recognize that we are dealing with a medical establishment that is, in =
the scheme of things, still relatively new to accepting the superiority =
of  breastfeeding<<
Good point!
This brought to mind a consult that I did today for a 31 yo, 1st time Mom
with a 3wk old. She is a nutritionist and went on to describe to me HER
mother's experience with breastfeeding HER ie. she breast fed for 6 wks.
exclusively, went to the pedi and was told that the baby wasn't gaining well
enough "bad quality" milk and would need to be switched to formula, next
visit 6 wks later.....baby had doubled birth weight, now "too fat" and was
told to switch to powdered SKIM MILK!
As my client so aptly put it "I have 2 parents who are mathameticians and I
can't do math, now I know why!"

This experience and the experiences of many others tells me that the medical
establishment is not only "new" to breastfeeding but "new" to the subject of
infant feeding in general.
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts