Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:05:00 EST
In a message dated 3/16/2000 10:20:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Fascinating that hand washing increased staph in your experiment.  Was that
>  >bars of soap used or liquid from squirt bottle?

We did an experiment in freshman microbiology in college.  We were required
to have a series of sterile culture plates, touch the first with our UNwashed
hand, then wash our hands, touch the next plate, wash again, touch next
plate, etc.  The instructor did not tell us what to expect and we were amazed
to see MORE colonies grow in the plates after we washed our hands and more in
each successive plate after each hand washing.  Then we were challenged to
explain the results.

The hand washing experiment demonstrates there are many germs on and in the
skin, usually "normal flora" that actually protect us.  It does not mean that
washing is bad or unnecessary.  Bars of soap can harbor many bacteria also,
that is why they are not used in public places.  The next step is to identify
the germs.  If a pathogen, a disease causing germ, is prevalent, then further
investigation should be done as this person may be infected or a carrier (a
Typhoid Mary so to speak) and need treatment.   Just having more germs show
up after hand washing is alarming at first until you understand what is going
on.    Having pathogens that can cause disease is what determines if
treatment is needed.  AND certain pathogens are expected to be found in many
areas of the body.

I always remember my college roomate, who was in dental hygiene, taught me
there are 28 deadly pathogens found in the human mouth of most healthy
individuals.  If our immune system is good, the pathogens stay in the mouth
and cause no problems.  The human mouth is a very dirty place, much worse
than an animal's mouth. (That is the reason a human bite is more dangerous
than an animal bite and more likely to become infected and even cause life
threatening heart infection)  (Vet's wife speaking here again)

Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA