From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:05:31 -0400
Dear all:

Now that we are hunkered down with sufficient pet and human food,  I'm hoping I don't get the "what do I do now that the electricity is out and my pump won't work" or "what do I do with the xx gallons of breast milk I have stored in the freezer" phone calls.

I am empathizing with my colleagues who work in hospitals since one of my clients had her premie baby evacuated from NYU to Roosevelt Hospital in preparation for any potential flooding near NYU.  I can't imagine what it took to evacuate the patients (small and large) from one hospital to another, especially a hospital as large as NYU.

My client complained that her poor baby will have experienced two natural disasters in his short life.  Given how terribly stressful the hospital evacuation must have been for her, I didn't have the heart to tell her that the earthquake wasn't really what a Californian such as myself would call a disaster.  I actually thought it was the subway giggling the floor and hoped our local line wasn't on the verge of collapse.

Our Saturday flight for our planned vacation in South Carolina was cancelled well in advance of the storm.  As I explained to the woman at the time share -- it didn't matter whether the storm hit South Carolina, it mattered whether we could catch a flight before the airports shut down and we didn't.

The grocery stores here seemed to still be reasonably well stocked even when they closed and our local bakery stayed open long after the subway system shut down.  Even the GAP and the local Pizzaria are open.  The streets are flooded with yellow taxi cabs looking for fares since the subway gates are closed.  It is not quite a silent as 9-11 because I can still hear the subway trains headed back to the yards.

For all those in the path of this storm -- I hope you stay safe and dry.

Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC