From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:00:22 +0100
In this little piece about another product 'useful' for hiding away when
breastfeeding:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2009/apr/20/discreet-breastfeeding-mam
ascarf-shortcuts
there is this sentence:

"O'Mara has shared the experiences that inspired the Mamascarf. One was
trying to feed her son "on a flight to Majorca, right next to a bunch of
drunken stags". The other involved a couple tutting at her in a cafe. Many
mothers also say that outright approval can be just as bad: smiling lechery
or the onlooker who announces that, "What you're doing is really great!" "

Over the years I have often heard breastfeeding supporters talk about giving
women bfing in public open approbation, and I have wondered about the
effects.  This would be a genuinely new question to ask about this area --
and be of use to us.  What do we do?  Is it actually counter-productive to
call attention to owmen bfing in public, even if we do it in a good way?

I don'tknwo if your son is going to do qualitative research or if what he
needs to do is something literature based (and there is no literature on
this question, I think). However, a suggestion, on a topic which I do think
is new.

Magda Sachs, PhD
Registered Breastfeeding Supporter, The Breastfeeding Network, UK