From:
Suzanne Bowes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:59:26 -0800
I have now worked as a LC in two different NICUs.  The
first one didn't routinely pass an OG unless it was
very early on during resusitation.  But, most of our
babies did have a NG for feedings and it was a small
tube.
Now the second NICU where I currently work, routinely
passes an OG.  When I questioned this I was told that
it was per NRP protocol and that they didn't want the
baby's stomach to fill up w/ air thus impeding
breathing.  Also, I was told that an NG would "block
breathing as the nares on a baby are small".  I meekly
said "OK".  Now that I have had the time to ck. the
NRP protocols and think it thru, an OG past
resusitation isn't doesn't seem logical.  NRP states
the tube is for resusitation as to prevent inflation
of the stomach when bagging an infant.  However, after
this is over and some kind of respiratory stability is
established, I don't see why an NG can't be used.   I
see it as less disruptive to BF and bottles can be
avoided or delayed.
Suzanne Bowes RN, IBCLC