From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 17:51:23 -0700
Recommendations, please --
I have a new baby with a massive cephalohematoma at the back of his head, just above the neck.  Baby was POP and delivered "sunnyside up" after several hours of pushing.  Mom has very full breasts (perhaps size L) and flattish nipples one of which is very wide when shaped.  Having difficulty finding a position for BF that does not end up putting pressure on the lower back of baby's head, where the  huge hematoma lies.  When mom is sidelying, cradling infants head puts her hand there.  Have tried mom fairly supine with infant over her breast, but baby tends to sink into the breast, not stay above it.

Baby does take one breast very well, but the fat nipple one is being a challenge for him and mom.  Fortunately mom has successfully Bf two infants before, not without some challenges, so she is patient and not taking it personally.

Our current plan is to offer the more difficult breast at each feed, sometimes first, sometimes second, and pump that side after each feed until the baby able to take both breasts.  But we're still challenged for comfortable positions for baby.  Suggestions welcome.

TIA, Chanita

At