From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:31:12 -0500
Jan,

Since gas from beans is caused by a local reaction of a high fiber, hi carb
food incompletely digesting and subsequently fermenting (oh joy) in the GI
tract of the mother, I'm not sure how the gas then gets into her blood stream
and into the breast milk to cause gas in the baby.  I AM sure there aren't
little beans floating around her breast.  Are we SURE it is the beans?  Any
possibility it is the manner in which she is bf -- as in lots of milk and
switching breasts too soon?  Or letting the baby cry periodically so he
swallows more air and causes gas?  Or another answer besides bean gas?  Or is
he sensitive to the protein in the beans?  Or is it the cow's milk she is
drinking?  Or is it something else entirely?  I'm quite certain beano works
locally - though I don't know what it is in it.  I'll have to check it out
next time I'm up at the store.  Wouldn't it be nice if it had something
totally innocuous in it that would decrease gas in everyone?  Babies
included?  I wonder what cows eat that causes them to emit methane.  Anyone
know?  If they changed their diets do you suppose they would quit making
holes in the ozone layer?  Do baby calves have the same problem if they are
allowed to udderfeed?

So many questions.  So little time.

Jan B.