From:
Jennifer Baughman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:51:20 -0400
As a long time lurker I feel the need to speak up on the issue of LLL and
it's "lack" or preserved lack of helpfulness to moms in need. I am a Leader
in a large metropolitan area in the southeastern United States. In our area
we have a weekly revolving hotline with at least five or more Leaders listed
to aid mothers who call in addition to the numbers mothers can find on the
LLLI web site or by calling LLLI directly. It is stated clearly that we are
volunteer mothers and that it maybe necessary to call more than one Leader.
We work from our homes but who don't have office hours which can be
frustrating to a new mother expecting someone standing by.. waiting. Yes,
there are LLL Leaders who can be hard to reach, they travel or have numerous
children with numerous activities, etc. But many times a mother will only
call one Leader and never look past the first name. Many don't understand
that we are not paid breastfeeding counselors who wait by the phone each day
to answer calls from a central LLL office. LLL Leaders are not responsible
((for)) mothers finding the support and information they need but we are
responsible ((to)) mothers in returning their calls to the best of our
ability and sharing the information and support that most Leaders can and do
provide.

In addition, I have had personal experiences with a number of mothers who
were left in a totally confused and desperate state after receiving some of
the most bizarre information and support from LC's on staff at local
hospitals. Mothers who knew how to pump, finger feed, etc but had never put
the baby to breast. One would think the baby or mother had physical
abnormalities, time in the NICU or other issues? No.. baby & mom were both
normal, they had just never been given enough time to figure out the
"dance". And after a shedding the technical trappings theses moms were able
to breastfeed normally. I am very lucky to have a number of wonderful LC's
as back ups for my red flag calls which are few but do arise. Hopefully the
whole breastfeeding community (professional & lay) will strive to improve
relations and the quality of the message & support to mothers in need.

No one group of people are perfect. It is easy to point fingers and pass
blame. Instead as a Leader yourself, calling your Area Coordinator of
Leaders and express your feelings about the experiences moms have had might
increase the dialogue and possibly improve the situation.

Just a thought,

Jenny Baughman
LLL Leader

> From:    Connie Chiavario <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: LLL Bashing
>
> I think  it is unfortunate that a nurse teaching a class would only
> recommend calling them at the hospital, but as an LC and an LLL Leader, I
> have had mothers that have called a La Leche League Leader in their area
and
> have waited two weeks to receive a call back!  They subsequently called
our
> office and received help.  Some of these  babies have had some real
> difficulty.  I'm scratching my head over that one because I highly promote
> La Leche League meetings as a place for support and encouragement and pass
> out fliers for all the different Groups in the area.  I also tell mothers
> that they can call a Leader anytime for phone help--especially since we
are
> only in our office at the hospital every day from 8-4.
>
> I am frustrated about this because it has happened several times.  I do
> realize that some mothers aren't comfortable with some of the ideas shared
> at Group meetings, however, a Leader *should* be able to assist a mother
> with basic latch-on techniques and breastfeeding a newborn in the early
> days.
>
> I had to spend a lot of time explaining to some of these mothers that not
> all Groups and LLL Leaders are so *flaky*.  I have given out my home phone
> number even though  I am a half-hour away and there are Groups in the
towns
> of these mothers.  These mothers are happy to have my phone number for
"just
> in case".  I feel that many of these mothers would be  great potential
Group
> members, but have been turned off by La Leche League's lack of help.......
>
> That could be how this nurse got her impression of La Leche
League.....could