From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 18:46:42 -0600
I thought I would share with you a recent email from my wife's niece.  She
is BF her first daughter and I thought it would be interesting for the
LACTNETERS to read her perspective about this "new Mom" class.  The mother
writing here has no health professional training.

I was taking a new moms class sponsored by the hospital for the last 6
weeks.
 I learned some good things about safety, emergencies, illness, etc.  When
the nutritionist came to talk to us she did not like me at all.  First I
pointed out the breast fed babies do not have to start solid food at
exactly
6 months.  Then I said that mashed up banana could be an alternative to
cereal as the first food.  Our leader told me later that unfortunately she
doesn't know much about breastfeeding.  Isn't that scary that a hospital
nutritionist wouldn't know about breastfeeding!  The sad thing about the
class is that only about 4 out of 12 are breastfeeding and I'm the only one
that is not talking about stopping.  Too bad.

Note: for the curious this is in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area.

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP