From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 08:27:26 -0500
The company might refuse to provide you with a list of
ingredients but they cannot refuse to give the list to the
dentist, in fact your dentist is breaking the law if he
does not have the MSDS info on the product.

MSDS stands for Material Safety Data Sheets and this
information is required by OSHA  (Occupational Safety and
Health Administration) to be on file at any business so
that the vital information to protect employees is
available to the employees.  This is a federal requirement
and so it applies to all of the USA.  If your dentist
doesn't have it, s/he is in violation of OSHA law.  In fact
the more that I think about it, I don't know if the company
that makes the whiteners can refuse to give you the MSDS
sheets.  I know from our medical office, most companies
have some type of office that helps the buyers of their
products comply with these OSHA regulations.

Keep in mind that the MSDS sheets probably will not address
anything about the effect of them on lactating mothers, but
it should give you some information about effects of
ingestion skin contact, splashing it in the eyes etc.

Probably the most important information you want to find
out is what is the plasma level of this substance following
the use in a woman.  IF the blood plasma level is not
detectable, then there is no need to worry as if the
substance is not in the mothers blood plasma, it is not
going to get into the milk.  Let's say there is a little
bit in the mother's plasma for 2 hours after an application
but then it is gone, one it is no longer detected in the
mother's plasma it is not going to be even available to get
into the mother's milk.

My gut feeling is that this that use of this product is not
a reason to wean or even pump and dump, but that is only my
gut feeling and not a well researched answer.

Jon

Jon Ahrendsen MD ABFP LLL Medical Associate
& Becky
parents of Andrea, Elizabeth and Karl
Clarion, Iowa