From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:21:12 -0700
Kathy:  I'm not sure your recent post about sending private emails not to
the list was intended for me or not, but given Rachel's queries to me, I
will assume it is and clarify it.  I posted to the list because there were
numerous (as in so many, that my mail box was overflowing in spite of being
nomail only for the conference) of people who wanted to know more about this
situation.  In addition, several LNers at ILCA in Mexico mentioned the post
that prompted my reply to the "local" situation.  Because of these, I
believed the group might benefit from seeing the reply (which was entitled
to be public because the original posts were not private emails).  Many
private practice LCs are in similar situations and have very real political
dilemmas to manage and want to know how other LCs respond and what their
context is.

I know that many previously active LNers have taken to the PPLC because they
want support in these types of situations.  If it is not appropriate to
post--without naming institutions/affiliations/names, etc.--about the
political contexts of our daily practice, then perhaps this should be
explicit?  One thing I would hate to see, however, is a mass exodus of all
the PPLCs off Lactnet because the diversity of LNers experiences/practice
setttings/education is one of the things that I cherish.  I'm not sure how
the rest of the list feels about this, but I would venture to guess that
there are others out there with similar concerns.

Warmly,
Chris
--
--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: Lactation Consulting, Perinatal Health