From:
Donna Kimick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:47:24 EDT
OK, I am really new at this and I could be totally wrong here, but first of
all is this baby that Kathy is mentioning being weighed on a formula feed
chart? Most babies do stop gaining as fast in the second part of the first year --
especially breast fed ones.  As far as the miracle whip, I have never heard of
that one (although I am new at this) my daughter was exclusively nursed for
almost one year (meaning she ate relatively little solids and nurses still at 3
years), she stayed at 20 lbs for over a year - I was not concerned because
all of her other milestones were being met.  In mine opinion, I think our
society as a whole concentrates too much on weight and the amount an infant must
gain.  Surely they must gain in the beginning, but once a child is crawling,
walking as this 9 month old must be moving around somewhat that baby is using more
calories.  Of course, as in any case I could never know all the background of
this situation without actually being there, seeing this mother and knowing
all pertinent information to assess the case.  Could be as simple as more hind
milk or could just be the child's normal weight gain. As my second son is
still at the negative 5th percentile for height - I learned that normal is not
always a perfect word.

Donna Kimick
Intern LC
Long Island, NY USA

> <<Date:   Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:53:12 EDT
> From:   Kathy Sharpe <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: LACTNET Digest - 19 Oct 2003 to 20 Oct 2003 - Special issue
> (#2003-1417)
>
> I received a call from the mother of a nine month old  with a question about
> weight gain.  The baby weighed 6lb 7 oz at birth, was  14 lbs at 6 months
> and
> at 9 months is 15lbs. The baby has gone from the 25th percentile to the 5th.
> The mother is feeding cereal twice a day and a jar of baby food.  She nurses
> ad lib, at least 8 times a day.  It was suggested to her by her doctor to
> put
> mayonnaise or miracle whip in the babyfood to increase the calories.  Anyone
> ever heard of this?  Other than increasing the amount of solids (nursing
> first)
> does anyone have any other ideas?

 Donna
 <A HREF="http://www.homemakersidea.com/2002/online/2002ideabook/index.htm">The Homemaker's Idea Co. ® 2003 Art of Beautiful Living   </A>"There's no Place