From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:35:37 -0500
>thoughts?  Dirk may be chair someday in the not so
>distant future, so this may be a very real issue for him.

I am confused why this is thought to possibly be a harrassment
issue. Expectant mothers (and sometimes even fathers) discuss
maternity leave and return to work plans with their supervisors.
Many questions come up about schedules, length of maternity
leave, in your case (and I hope others as well) bringing
baby to work on occasion or more regularly.
Seems to me that a question from the supervisor like
"Will you be needing facilities for nursing or pumping
for the baby?" or "Are you familiar with our
pumping/nursing policies/facilities?" is a natural
part of that conversation. If it is brought up in a natural
comfortable way by the supervisor, the expectant mothers
will feel more comfortable. The reverse is also true, often
it is the expectant mothers who bring it up, putting their
supervisors at ease by the way they talk about it. However,
I think it is a good thing for supervisors and HR professionals
to include in their list of topics to cover when talking about
maternity leave and return to work. If it is brought up consistently
as part of this discussion for all expectant mothers, it will not
be viewed as harrassment but as a normal part of life at work
with a baby.
Sorry this is so longwinded. I don't have the brain space this
morning to be more concise.
  Naomi Bar-Yam