From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:08:04 -0500

>The second challenge is getting past the fact that, yes the data is there
>showing the harm of formula... but if it were so bad, my doctor would not
>recommend it. It must be ok since what doctor or nurse would really tell me
>to use it if it were really causally connected to illness? that is where the
>cognitive dissonance sets in.

In my opinion, the above is the crux of the matter.  Very few "baby
doctors" and almost *no* hospital employees that mothers see  believe that
formula is harmful enough to worry about.  They may give lip service to
human milk but most of the time they feed their own infants formula and/or
don't really care how you feed your baby. And, of course, they hand it to
you as you leave the hospital, and in the offices formula advertisement is
everywhere.

Such would *not* be the case if the medical field really believed that
formula was hazardous. They just don't.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]