From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:55:22 -0800
Wonderful!  What a tribute to the inner wisdom of a woman and how to go
about changing a system for the better.
I am not one of those people who can take the baby steps within "political"
settings, if you know what I mean.  I wnat it right and I want it right
right now!  Patience is not one of my stronger points... :}

On a positive note I wanted to relate to you a little "upper" I had yesterday.
A few weeks ago I posted about a young mom who was having gall bladder
surgery and was concerned about her milk supply.  I talked with every day or
so until she came home.  She was very concerned because she was getting
nothing from pumping (PNS) and her breasts suddenly went "soft" no fullness
or anything.  She had been pumping every 3 hrs pretty much around the clock,
but getting nothing.  She was convinced she would have to ABM feed her 3 mo
old daughter and was terribly distraught (she was unable to BF her 1st baby
due to cracked/bleeding nipples and NO HELP from anyone at the hosp...she
was most angry!).  I kept telling her that milk didn't just "dry up" that
quick, that she was doing great to keep pumping and keep that stimulation
going and that probably her body was just taking care of itself right now
since she was in so much pain and was needing this surgery (which ended up
being two surgries and 5 days in hosp).  She went home, called me and said
"What do I do???"  I told her "Put baby to breast and leave her there -
watch for proper output (gave her details) and supplement if you feel you
need to.  Listen to your "Mother heart" and trust in your body and yourself."

Yesterday we had a LLL meeting - she came - We were talking about the
advantages of BF.  I said "To me, the biggest advantage on a professional
level is when I counsel a mom through a tough time, she comes to a LLL
meeting I am at and I get to see her BF her baby."  And there was my mom,
with a big smile and baby asleep at the breast.  :D   Made my week!

Also, this mom is VERY interested in becoming a LLLL and a CLE and wants to
teahc everyone about BF!  She is so amazed at what her body did with this
situation she went through that she doesn't want ANYONE to lose their BF
relationship for any reason...sounds like I did when I succeeded at BF Ben
(you know - my BF from Hell story...).  So, guess I get to play Mentor now!
I LOVE this field!

Hugs everyone!  We are doing a hell of a job out there, and we never know
when we will get a reward for our efforts.

Feeling great today in icy Sacramento...
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, California, West Coast, USA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."