From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 07:21:03 -0500
I like that my little post about a mom/nurse "not getting it" has
spurred on all these posts!
A couple of comments this am before I run off to work:

1) I'm not sure the posts from why LC's breastfed / stats are all
that valid a way to predict
what will motivate women currently.  The biggest difference is that I
and possibly many others
didn't really KNOW the benefits to begin with.  They weren't
researched as well at that point 20 and
30 yrs ago so they couldn't have been the reason we choose to
breastfeed could they?

2) The reason I choose to breastfeed the second was because I was, by
then, part of a bfing mini culture
that expected it, I was also a LLL Leader so....

Current promotion in my office at WIC is based on a class where a
statement (benefit, research etc) is read and attendees decide if it
belongs in one of four categories on a magnetic board: Advantages of
Bfing, Advantages of Formula Feeding, Disadvantages of Breastfeeding,
and Disadvantages of Formula Feeding.  Of course it ends with a long
column of things under the Advantages of Bfing and I count on the
visual impact of that as well.  Each statement is discussed if
necessary to clarify and I must say that some wind up in more than
one column.
An evaluation is passed out after each class which lasts an hour and
WONDERFUL comments have been made.  Such things as "I learned so
much, thank you" and "I liked all the facts" are common which leads
me to believe it's a good format.
Two other questions on the eval are: "before this class I planned on
(breastfeeding, bottlefeeding, both, undecided) and "after this class
I will consider breastfeeding (yes, no or maybe).  Compiling these
results has shown the class makes an impact going from about 72%
prior as bfing to 90% after. That makes me happy and I've choose to
leave the class as is because attendees seem to like it overall.
P.S. I also show a 12min video as part of the class, they don't rate
the video very well even though I like it and continue to show it.

Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC, LLLL, WIC BF Co
Listmom wicbfnet and MLCANET
Brockton, MA