From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:36:01 EDT
I just spoke with a former client who gave me permission to post and would
appreciate any insights regarding her problem.  She told me about 2 mos ago, she
developed a rash on her belly that has since spread to her extremities and
chest, including underneath and to the outer aspects of her breasts (which she
described as not really raised, no drainage nor pustules, just red and dry
feeling; originally she said they felt more hive-like but that changed over time
to flat, redness).    According to her it feels internal, as if this is the
source, not a contact dermatitis, not what she's eating, but perhaps hormonal.
She has seen her endocinologist who felt it was not hormonal which surprised
her.  Her baby is five months, exclusively breastfed, and asymptomatic for any
rashes.

Mom is very health conscious, has a healthy diet, takes some supplements
including lecithin occasionally for pluggged ducts.  Diet and supplements (mainly
vitamins) have not changed.  Of interest, when she scratches one area of rash,
say her stomach, she feels intense itching in all other areas of her
rash;nerve involvement seems possible to me. We both thought of shingles but there is
no pain, other than itching. I also thought of PUPPS but thought this only
occurs in pregnancy.

Any ideas or suggestions?  I informed her of homeopathics she could look into
and referred her to a naturopath.  Thank you in advance.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC