From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:10:01 +1000
Hi Nikki,
I think that the ideas that you raise here are pretty uncontroversial. I would point out however that there's a vast difference between communicating with an individual and public health communications and communicating with an individual and data collection.  The former we emphasise the importance of in our paper, the latter is where it sexed language may be necessary for reasons of clarity, inclusivity, and accuracy and to protect the mother-infant dyad. The needs of the most vulnerable must be given particularly consideration.

I didn’t point out previously but the newness of the idea that a word like ‘mother' is a gendered term related to gender identity deserves some interrogation. Certainly the concept of gender identity is very new, having only been developed in the 1960s but the use of gendered terms is even newer, so new for example, that ‘mother’ as a gendered term is not even included in the Oxford English Dictionary. In contrast, the meaning of ‘mother’ as applying to sex, that is meaning a female parent, is noted as the primary meaning in the OED with examples of usage  going back 1000 years provided https://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry/Entry/122640#:~:text=a.,a%20stepmother.

My experience in working with the most marginalised mothers, those whose relationship is in jeopardy because of child protection concerns, incarceration, adoption or surrogacy but also in resource poor environment where maternal and infant mortality is high, is that language can be used to marginalise or support and one of the key ways of marginalising is to avoid using the term ‘mother’ or to qualify it (eg ‘birth mother’). Such is the power of the word- it holds meaning that goes way beyond what the dictionary says- that people will avoid using the term where they do not want the woman recognised as a mother or want to undermine her importance to the child (the most extreme examples are ‘surrogate,’ ‘gestational carrier,’ ‘incubator’). This is all in my mind as I just complete a submission to a government inquiry on children of prisoners! Best get back to it!

Karleen Gribble
Australia