From:
Pardee Hinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 22:41:25 -0400
I am glad to see this discussion on Lactnet as it is something that has
been a concern of mine for some time.  It is heartbreaking to see a
newborn who has been vacuum delivered, has a bruised head and appears in
pain....and we expect him to eat!!  Who feels like eating when in the
midst of a migraine!!?

We are so helpless at the hospital.  This very helplessness sent me to
learn energy work, and I have found it to be an incredibly helpful tool.
I first learned Reiki since the hospital chaplain's department sponsored a
level I workshop, and I was hooked.  I have since become a Reiki Master;
however, I find Healing Touch most helpful and am completing my
requirements for certification.

If anyone is interested in Healing Touch, let me know and I can get
information to you.  It is a modality whose certification pathway is
endorsed by the American Hoslistic Nurses Assn.  It is that clear pathway
to certification that I find important.

Healing Touch techniques can be given to infants who are in pain from
delivery, in pain from circumcision, in the NICU....and the techniques can
be offered to mothers.

Back to the vacuum -- Are your hospitals using the KIWI vacuum extractor?
I understand that it is small and easier to place on the head.  From my
perspective it is very painful.  I see most damage when it is used.

Skin to skin care does help the babies cope with the pain.  Often they
will arouse to nurse after skin to skin care and energy work.  The two
modes of care seem to work better together than separately for this
situation.

I would like to hear what others do to help these little ones.

Pardee Hinson, MPH, IBCLC
Charlotte, NC