From:
Kelly Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:08:37 -0500
I am 30 years old and I have Crohn's Disease (an inflammatory bowel
disease).  Eight weeks ago I had a colectomy and my doctors are looking to
start me on some new meds - I still have some active disease that wasn't
removed.  I've been on prednisone for the last three years (anywhere from
10-40mg - currently on 20mg).  The doctors are pushing 6mp
(mercaptopurine).  I am desperately looking for some CREDIBLE information
that states this med is ok for breastfeeding AND pregnancy. If this med is
not safe for both - does anyone know of a drug that can keep my disease in
remission and that IS safe for both breastfeeding and pregnancy??
My daughter is 12 months old and loves to nurse, we both enjoy this time
together and I don't appreciate my doctor's answer to my dilema -  "just
stop breastfeeding."  I would like to get pregnant in the spring and then
breastfeed that baby as well.  I've heard that 6mp is safe for pregnancy
but not breastfeeding and then another drug, Remicade, is safe for
breastfeeding but not for pregnancy.  Please help!  If you have any
information on either of these drugs or another drug that could be used to
treat Crohn's I would greatly appreciate any info you have.  THANK YOU!