From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 22:53:56 -0800
I know up to now we've been discussing depo-provera with respect to what it may do to an undeveloped milk supply.  What would it do to an established one?  Mom had depo at 8 weeks post-partum, no effect on milk supply.  Two weeks ago had second shot, this week sudden drop noticed.

Now, mom admits that baby, at 6 mos, is also taking solids, and seems to be happy with what she gets at breast.  And there are a lot of new stressors in the environment, some of which interfering with her eating patterns, and she is skipping meals and just snacking on anything handy.  While mom was used to pumping 4 oz. at a time, every three to four hours, all of a sudden she is only getting 2 oz.

Her periods have not started.  She is pumping, she thinks, as often and as long as before (she will keep a timetable to make sure).  To her knowledge she has not been eating any foods that might cause a drying up.

My thoughts on the subject tend toward the probability that baby is taking less due to the solids in the diet, and mom has slowly cut back on amount without realizing it.

She would like to build up her supply, so she is going to double pump, as she's been doing, wait 15 min. to 1/2 an hour, then pump again (Like telling the breasts now there are two babies who need to eat?)  On her days off, and when she is home, she will nurse first, whenever baby is hungry, then give solids.  She will start taking fennugreek tomorrow, as well as working to establish better eating patterns.  She will also start eating breakfast for sure, with at least oatmeal.  Over her next days off, she plans to do a marathon of snuggling/nursing with her baby.  Have we covered everything?

Thanks, Chanita, San Francisco