From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:19:22 +1000
Sounds to me like this mum is really doing everything that she can and
should be congratulated and encouraged for doing so. It's no small
achievement to be expressing the amount of milk she is. I wonder if hand
expression after pumping milk be something that would also help?? I know
that mums who are relactating often find that it's getting those little end
bits of milk out really help drive up the milk supply. It may make no
difference with this mum, she may be at her peak but then you never know it
might make a difference.

I would certainly suggest that trying to force this little one to breastfeed
is NOT a good idea. It is very unlikely to work and will most likely make
the situation worse. However, this mum might be assisted by some of the
techniques that adoptive mums use in weaning their children to the breast.
I'm particularly thinking of using a breastfeeding supplementer threaded
through a nipple shield or bottle teat that is then held over the nipple.
Some mums even just start with putting milk in a teat and putting over the
nipple. If Violet will "breastfeed" like this then transitioning to full
feeds at the breast with just a supplementer may be easier. How to do this
is described briefly in Darillyn's article at
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBSepOct93p135.html and in some more detail
in ABA's booklet on relactation and adoptive breastfeeding
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/prod141.htm

Karleen Gribble
Australia