From:
Anne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 17:11:29 -0400
from:Anne Smith, IBCLC
    The local hospital routinely sends bf moms home with a feeding
tube/syringe combination along with dire warnings about not giving
bottles.  I have worked with several moms who sought help from me
with latch on problems after attempting to use this system for
several weeks.  Aside from my concern that these mothers did not
receive adequate follow up for the problems that caused this feeding
system to be used in the first place (that's a whole different
issue), I am concerned about the safety of using this sort of "jerry
rigged" device at all.  I have had success using the Hazelbaker
feeding system when needed, but it is a product designed to be
used over and over and cleaned after each use.  Does anyone out there
have any info about the safety of using devices designed for single
use and then discarded for weeks after week?  Bacterial or fungal
infections transmitted, etc.?  Medela has been unable to provide me
with any studies addressing this.  I would not feel comfortable using
this device with my own baby, but it's just a feeling, and not backed
up by any empirical evidence.  Are my concerns valid, or not? I
would appreciate any feedback.

-- Anne Smith, [log in to unmask] on 25/05/2000

-- Anne Smith, [log in to unmask] on 05/25/2000