Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 15:21:15 +0900
On 08/12/2006, at 13:52, Diana Cassar-Uhl wrote:

> 1.  Is there one resource you've used to help guide mothers to
> educate their
> daycare providers, if so, please share it!

This LLL page is wonderful:
"Common Concerns When Storing Human Milk"
By Cindy Scott Duke
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html

> 2.  What is the protocol for re-using a bottle that's been
> partially fed
> from?  If there are 3 ounces of breastmilk in a bottle, and baby
> takes one
> ounce, what is the "accepted" fate of the other 2 ounces?

I'm sharing personal experience and opinion here, since I don't
believe there's enough of a body of research to make hard and fast
recommendations.

I re-offered fresh milk (less than about three days in the fridge)
for up to two or three hours with no problems, over an expressing
"career" of 14.5 months. Given the active bactericidal qualities of
fresh milk, I felt comfortable that a small inoculum of my son's own
mouth bacteria would not cause the milk to rapidly become harmful.
Though research has shown that unpasteurised frozen milk is also
antibacterial, I chose to set the limit at one hour for thawed milk.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/63/4/597

>   I've seen varying
> opinions on this -- from discarding any leftover milk immediately, to
> waiting one hour to discard or feed that milk, to allowing several
> hours to
> pass before that milk "goes bad" (I don't believe breastmilk ever
> "goes bad"
> but that's another discussion entirely).

You've never left a full bottle of EBM in the car in the hot sun for
a week, then?  ;)

Lara Hopkins