From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:14:00 -0800
I just have to respond to this thread, as I've had a woman with very similar
circumstances.  I first met the girl a few years ago when she was admitted
for PPPsychosis.  She was non responsive, taking large amounts of very
strong meds, least of which seemed haldol.  I talked with her husband, a
dear man, but understandably very worried.  Breastfeeding was very important
to this woman and her husband.  For the duration of her stay HE pumped for
her and discarded the milk.  They were just too worried about the meds (I
didn't blame him!)  She finally came out of it after about a week.  She went
home on about 3-4 meds, I can't remember what they were, but all
antipsychotic and tranquilizers.  They weren't too bad, but the parents
decieded to wean.  Well the rest of the story...She got pregnant again,
within 6 months!! Again PPD, but much better then last time.  She maintained
for quite awhile on just hadol, and has kept nursing this time.   Baby did
just fine. Now she is on a new med...can't remember the name of it  now
cyprexal?  Anyway, Hales book had a strong warning, but no data.  She plans
to watch the baby, and continure nursing this time. The baby seemed to do
fine with the haldol.

Linda