From:
Allison Norwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:59:23 -0700
I have a mom that I need assistance with.  Her son is
8 months old and has been
nursing using a nipple shield since birth.  She has
two questions that she
would like support with and I am hoping that you can
help me.

1.  During the past 3 weeks her milk supply has
drastically decreased.  She is
not on BCPs, nothing else has changed in her life,
nursing pattern has stayed
the same but when she does her extra pumping she has
decreased from 6 oz to 2
oz.  We have discussed fluids, increasing frequency,
breast massage and she had
obtained a script for Reglan.  Other suggestions?

2.  During the conversation she explained that child
is using shield due to a
short frenulum.  She stated that the peds have told
her it is not common to
clip during infancy.  His tongue does not go past his
lips.  I am going to pull
info from Lactnet search but her concern now is if it
is clipped, will it cause
speech problems at this point?  She has seen an OT who
did not support clipping
so I am treading softly.  Are there articles/sites
that could be of assist?
 She is going to get a ped. dentist consult as they
are the ones that clip them
at this point on our Air Force base.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

Allison Norwood, RNC, MSN, IBCLC