From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:06:49 +0100
Dolores, Dawn

I completely agree with what Dawn writes - we need more research.

When I was practising in Harare (a long time ago!) the African
mothers delivering at the large government hospital would often be
given Depo before discharge.  Breastfeeding was universal and
continued til 18-24 months or so, but exclusive breastfeeding rates
in the first 6 months were quite low (increasing from 11% to 16% to
23%, but still not good enough).
Is there a difference between Depo and other progestin-only oral
contraceptives - maybe not much, except that you can't stop Depo if
it proves to cause problems - and I believe that's risky.  I found
similar research on oral contraceptives to that cited by Dawn for an
injectible.

My private practice clients were often prescribed progestin-only
contraceptives quite early - from 0-6 weeks, and I'd be consulted a
lot for "colic" and low weight gain, which appeared to resolve quite
miraculously if the mother elected to stop the oral contraceptives
and use another method of birth control.   I became so concerned
about what looked like the adverse effect on lactation that I started
digging around.  This wont help you either Dolores, because I can't
give you the references (my files were burned when I left the
country), but I learned/found:
1. One of the OBs who was very into the journals and studies told me
that different formulations have different effects on different
women, ie some will not notice a negative effect on milk production
with some progestin-only meds, others will.
2.  Some progestins behave more like estrogen in the body, ie are
more likely to suppress lactation, than others.  This may be because
some of the synthetic progestins are more likely to reduce the
protein and fat content of the milk, and this may be tied in to the
possibility that they negatively effect the mother's prolactin levels.
3.  Many of the studies showing no apparent negative effects of Depo,
and other oral formulations (perhaps such as the one Dawn excerpts)
are very old.  Importantly, at the time they were conducted,
"breastfeeding" was not well defined, and the importance of exclusive
breastfeeding was probably not even known, and certainly wasn't
acknowledged, so may not have been mentioned, eg "ever-breastfed" was
called "breastfed" (could have been once a day, or the baby could
have had caloric needs topped up  by other foods and liquids.)
4.  Many of the studies "proving" that a particular progestin-based
contraceptive had no negative effect on breastfeeding duration
compared the new formulation with another formulation, and there were
no placebo controls and certainly no exclusively breastfed + placebo controls.
5.  The formulations which seemed to give me (the LC) the most
trouble the most often were those that were subsidized by USAID -
there were two brand names in particular, which used the same drug in
the same dose but had different brand names, one for the "poorer"
market, distributed in the government healthcare system, and one for
the "richer" market, sold through the private pharmacies at a much
lower price than other progestin-only contraceptives - naturally they
seemed to be the most popular!   Sometimes drugs can be sold or
distributed in a developing country, and it's counted as part of an
aid package, which wouldn't be permitted to be sold in the home
country (?dumping?) - I don't know if this was the case with these
two pills, but naturally, I did wonder.
6.  It was the frequency and similarity of the cases I had - the
fussy, unsatisfied, crying babies, and the babies limping along on
low weight gain in spite of by-the-book breastfeeding, coupled with
the consistent history of the mother taking these pills on the dot of
six weeks postpartum or sometimes much earlier - and the quick
resolution of problems if she stopped taking the pill(s) - that made
me start thinking of this as a trend rather than a series of isolated
coincidences.
7.  The topic of contraception has become quite politicized, and
strays into women's rights, and I also learned that one method of
increasing contraception acceptance is to call it a woman's
right.  This blurs the distinction between medical issues (poorer
health outcomes for babies whose mothers "cannot"breastfeed, or
cannot breastfeed exclusively due to the negative effect of oral
contraceptives on lactation) and social issues (women's rights to
limit pregnancies and to choose alternatives to breastfeeding).

The thing about Depo-Provera is that it's irreversible, unlike
progestin-only-pills (POPs) which the mother can just discontinue if
she notices negative consequences for breastfeeding.  As Dawn cites,
in any event, it shouldn't be prescribed until lactation is
"well-established", ie after 6 weeks.  The other thing is that Depo
can cause on-going bleeding.  Maybe one of the research questions
should be what happens to a mother's Hb levels, and if Hb levels
exert an effect on milk production - maybe that is already
known?   We also need new, up to date studies with more stringent
definitions of "breastfeeding" to see if babies whose mothers are on
Depo, or any other POPs can achieve normal weight gain on exclusive
breastfeeding.

Sorry, this just raises more questions than answers.  But Dawn is
quite right -  perhaps WE are the ones who could show that this
research is way overdue.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England