Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 07:18:30 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Anywho...I still follow them very closely
>  as we have no source for FTT other than reflux, which still is not
>  controlled.  Any thoughts or comments????

Has the babe been checked for metabolic disorders?

This reminds me of a case I know of in which a baby gained poorly for an
extended period of time, and turned out to have a metabolic disorder called
OTC.  It's one of a number of rather rare urea cycle malfuctions which cause
an inability to process protein, and elevated blood ammonia levels.

The baby wasn't diagnosed until she'd started eating solid food and lost
consciousness from the increased ammonia levels, but she'd had a history of
poor weight gain and episodes of vomitting for no apparent reason throughout
her infancy.

Incidently, the mom was told that her decision to breastfeed saved her
child's life, since the protein load in regular formula would have killed or
seriously brain-damaged the babe.  (Then, of course, she was told to wean
*immediately* so that every cc the child ingested could be measured, but
that's another post....)

Diane
LLLL
Brooklyn, NY