Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 09:37:31 -0500
You are probably right about this being a new campaign by the formula
manufacturers.  Though one of the least well documented risks of formula
feeding, prevention of allergies is one of the major reasons women in
this area breastfeed.

Probably why it is one of the least well documented is that very few
babies are *exclusively* breastfed.  And only one exposure to foreign
protein might result in development of allergy.  A recent supplement in
Acta Paediatrica, on feeding in Danish babies, showed the usual very
good Scandinavian rate of breastfeeding.  Here are the first two items
from the summary.

1. The prevalence of breastfeeding was high, 71%, 52% and 33% still
being breastfed at the age of 3, 6, and 9 months respectively:...

2. About 80% of the infants received formula supplements during the
first 3 days after delivery, although most were exclusively breastfed on
discharge from the maternity ward.

Remember that even when foreign proteins do show up in the mother's
milk, the body is going out of its way to do this.  There is no evidence
that anyone healthy, except small babies, and nursing mothers absorb
whole protein from the gut. Why would this happen?  First the amount in
the milk is small.  Secondly, with SIgA, and other immune factors, is it
not possible that these proteins *desensitize* the baby to these
antigens?

I am always asked when I give conferences, why, if I believe supplements
are needed, that I do not advocate formula, at least in the first 24 to
48 hours.  The above is one reason.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC